A woman has to be sentimental or wildly in love to appreciate heart-shaped jewelry – unless, of course, it’s just utterly fabulous. As it happens, prime examples of the jaw-dropping variety are heading for the auction block just in time for Valentine’s Day – what a coincidence!
Let’s start with two pieces selling across the pond at Christie’s London on January 29 – a charmer of necklace with a Theo Fennell winged heart and a crab I covet (as any Maryland girl would) and an elegant Victorian version of the gem-encrusted heart. Everything that follows will be on display at Sotheby’s New York from February 1 until the sale five days later.
• necklace with three pavé charms in 18k white gold including a heart of yellow sapphires with diamond wings by British designer Theo Fennell (sold for $3,318 on estimate of $2.471-3,294 at Christie’s London, January 29)
• heart-shaped pendant with pear-shaped sapphire and old-cut diamonds, glazed locket reverse, mounted in silver and gold, c. 1890, and ring of cushion-cut sapphire and old brilliant-cut diamonds (sold for $4,355 on estimate of $2,471-3,294 at Christie’s London, Jan. 29)
• ring of 8.34ct heart-shaped sapphire with round diamonds set in 18k white gold (sold for $25,000 on estimate of $15,000-20,000 at Sotheby’s New York, Feb. 6)
• bracelet of cultured pearls and hematite beads with 18k gold double-heart clasp by Van Cleef & Arpels (sold for $6,250 at Sotheby’s New York, Feb. 6)
• pendant of platinum, 18k gold, 2.40ct fancy intense yellow heart-shaped diamond, .93ct fancy gray-blue heart-shaped diamond, .50ct fancy intense purplish pink heart-shaped diamond (estimated $90,000-120,000, Sotheby’s New York, Feb. 6)
• necklace of 18k gold, platinum, 6.40ct pink heart-shaped sapphire suspected from pink and yellow sapphires and baguette diamonds (sold for $59,375 on estimate of $25,000-35,000 at Sotheby’s New York, Feb. 6)
• ring of 5.20ct heart-shaped very light pink diamond accented with small round diamonds in platinum & 18k rose gold (sold for $317,000 on estimate of $225,000-275,000 at Sotheby’s New York, Feb. 6)
• ring of 18k two-color gold, 1.01ct light pink diamond framed by pink diamonds and 8 heart-shaped diamonds weighing 1.50 carats (sold for $28,125 on estimate of $25,000-35,000 at Sotheby’s New York, Feb. 6)
• necklace of 5.01ct heart-shaped fancy yellow diamond with diamond accents set in platinum and 18k gold (sold for 87,500 on estimate of $70,000-90,000)
• ring of crowned heart-shaped ruby & set in silver and gold, surrounded by old mine-cut diamonds and round rubies, c. 1890-1900 (estimate $18,750 on estimate of $10,000-15,000 at Sotheby’s New York, Feb. 6)
• pendant of three heart-shaped emeralds (6.18ct, 3.45ct, 3.39ct) with diamonds set in platinum (sold for $31,250 on estimate of $30,000-40,000 at Sotheby’s New York, Feb. 6)
• pendant of 69.85ct morganite set in 18k rose gold with light brown round diamond signed Margherita Burgener (sold for $10,000 on estimate of $7,000-8,000 at Sotheby’s New York, Feb. 6)
For the full schedule of jewelry auctions ’round the globe, updated constantly with links to e-catalogs as they appear, bookmark our 2014 jewelry & watch auction calendar.
First two photos courtesy of Sotheby’s, the rest courtesy Christie’s Images Ltd.